Saturday, December 1, 2018

Lap Time

I had a long, troublesome day on campus.  The students were fine, it was the technology that was frustrating as was trying to get lessons pulled together in a meaningful way that the students could access.

PD was getting older, and had recently had problems with his back.  He had just come back from the vet's office with a good report.

From my journal on December 1, 2014:
"I sit here with PD on my lap.  This is an old ritual that goes back 10 years.  I think it is probably as comforting to me as it is to him.  Not just the ritual, but the essential reliability of knowing that their is this time together and this (in)activity that we share.  My lap is always here and always available to him.  His silent companionship and gentle warmth on my legs is a constant for me.  Those evenings or times that he chooses my lap over Kathy's is always a joy.  to be worthy of his close companionship is to know that someone sees you as special."


Once again, PD reminded me that physical contact and unconditional love are more important than PowerPoint presentations to students, grading papers, and going to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment